Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Off the Grid

It's been far too long since my last visit to this blog... some of you may have even clicked unsubscribe to my feed. My apologies. I could tell you that I've been too busy, but that is just an excuse. The truth is, I have much to say and hopefully, I will be able to visit more often to voice those things.

Today though, I thought I'd share something real quick - a verse I came across in Hebrews that I got stuck on and eventually had to stop what I was doing to pray because of it.

Hebrews 7:25 (AMPLIFIED) Therefore He is able also to save to the uttermost (completely, perfectly, finally, and for all time and eternity) those who come to God through Him, since He is always living to make petition to God and intercede with Him and intervene for them. 

This verse contains so much. You can't get past the first four words without acknowledging the greatness of Christ - THEREFORE HE IS ABLE... That just gets me excited. Because He is able! Able to do what? Exceedingly, abundantly, above all that I can ever ask or think - that's what! (see Ephesians 3:20) Jesus is able to do or be whatever I need. Donesies. Nothing further your Honor.

In this context though, it continues to speak specifically to Jesus' ability to save mankind. And not just those alive at the time of his death and resurrection. It says He is able to save to the uttermost - which means to the end of time and beyond that into eternity. You see, according to the Law of sin and death, there must be a sacrifice with bloodshed for our sins. Jesus was that sacrifice. However, we also needed a priest to offer that sacrifice. The verses prior to this one in Hebrews name Jesus as our priest as well. So in and of Himself, He is our Priest and sacrifice.

And since Jesus is both of those and He lives on forever, He is able to save all of mankind who come to God through Him. As a priest, His job is to apply the blood of the sacrifice to each and every man who would come forward to confess his sins. This was the only way to blot out our sins in the past. Since Jesus gave Himself as the sacrifice, we no longer have to bring anything to the priest for our sins. We just have to accept the sacrifice Jesus made and confess our sins. The beautiful thing about this is that Jesus, because He lives on forever, is able to continually apply His own blood that He shed for us to our sins as we confess them.

And as we read on in the verse, we see that Jesus is making petition - meaning He is praying for us to God - just as a priest is supposed to do. He is interceding with God and intervening for us. That means He is putting Himself between us and God, praying for us, pleading for us, calling our names before the throne of God. I don't know about you, but I am thankful to have such a priest. The best thing is, Jesus never stops. He is a perpetual priest. Unlike the priests we had here on the earth, who sleep, eat, and have families... Jesus is unencumbered by such things and is able to remain in His priestly duties.

The best part that is not to be glossed over too quickly is the words that say, "...since He is always living...". Jesus is alive! He is living today in heaven with our Father. He will live forever more. Jesus is not like us. He stepped out of glory, put on a man suit and lived among us for 33 years, died and rose again, then ascended back to heaven to sit on His throne again forever more. He is not some man who lived an inspirational life and then died. He's not Ghandi, Mohamed, Buddha, or even Mother Theresa. He is the Son of God! And He is alive and will be forever more!

This small verse contains so much in it that as I read it this morning I had to stop and worship God. His ways are so much greater than my ways. His plans as they unfold, are seen to be full of His love for us. For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son... When I consider these things... my words become few... my eyes fill with tears... and my head bows in honor to the One God who is worthy of glory, honor, and to be worshiped forever more.

Won't you take a moment with me to sit quietly and ponder the greatness of God - to allow His plans, His Son, and the glory of it all to humble you. As you bask in the weight of the implications of this verse, you will find that God's love is all around you. His plans are for you - to bless you and not curse you. He has so much for us - greater than we can imagine. He is worthy of your time, thoughts, and worship - more than you and I are able to express or give.

No comments:

Post a Comment