Friday, February 20, 2015

The Number 23

You all know it. You have heard it recited. You may even have it memorized. It may be something you use to comfort yourself. A form of familiarity. But do you really understand it? I didn't... but then something happened.

In my pursuit of understanding God's Word, there are times the Holy Spirit will take me to familiar passages. These passages are one's I can recite forwards and backwards. I even get a cadence as I speak them that is reminiscent of singing one's ABCs. They may have even been part of songs I've sang since I was in Sunday School.

Whatever the cause of the sing-songy-ness, I know them. I'm a fan of them. I would repeat them to others. I know when to use them as any good student would. But I think knowing them and understanding them will always stand in stark contrast to each other.

Knowing has to do with head knowledge. This could mean being able to read the scriptures in their original language, knowing the setting in which they were written, to whom they were written, and why they were written. You can know the name of the original author and the time period in which it was penned. All of this is not understanding.

Understanding is not a head thing. It is a heart thing. Understanding is when something goes from swimming around your head, where you can recite it at a moment's notice, to dropping down to your heart, where it affects not just your words, but your entire being. And understanding only comes when you experience what the author experiences. When you immerse yourself in its words. When you meditate upon them. Chewing on them all day long.

It is easy when you are familiar with a verse to gloss over it. To know it, but not understand it. To have it living in your brain, but not in your heart. Because when it lives in your heart, it causes something to happen. It stirs you to action.

For the longest time I have glossed over one passage in particular. It is one of the most famous passages and it isn't known as Psalm 23, it is known as The 23rd Psalm. It is the perfect example of knowing that this verse should be read for comfort. It is what we do - religiously so in fact. I use it at every funeral, because I know that's what people find comfort in. But until the Holy Spirit lead me through it, I didn't have that understanding myself. It wasn't a personal source of comfort. Today, it is.

My hope today in writing this blog entry is that you will revisit some of your favorite passages, approaching them with an attitude of humility, asking that God would take that passage from your head to your heart. That He would make it come alive for you.

As I recently re-read this notorious passage, I made some notes that I'll share with you. These thoughts made this passage come alive for me. I get why so many have found so much comfort in it, for I now find comfort in it myself. But even more than that. It all at once has the power inspire, give hope, provide peace, gently remind me of His promises, His purposes and intent, and even provides guidance for the proper response to it all.

The verses are in italics below. My notes are not. As the Holy Spirit lead me through these verses, I began to make notes, and suddenly my spirit stirred within me. Oh for grace to know Him more. 

1 The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not be in want. To know Who is lording over me leads me to rejoice. He is the Christ. He has demonstrated His love for me. He who loves my soul. When you know Him, you know He will never leave you or forsake you. All of your needs (not wants) will be provided in Him. What's not to be joyful about in this one verse? He is in control and I will never lack for anything as long as I walk with Him.

2 He makes me lie down in green pastures, He knows what my needs are and sees to it that they are met. To know that the God of the universe cares so much about me that he concerns Himself with my needs is overwhelming. It is humbling. I know that I am so small and He without end. The difference is massive and leads me to heartfelt worship.


he leads me beside quiet waters, He will lead me in paths of peace if I am willing to follow. Peace is not something that you can buy. It comes from following Him - no matter how hard or inconvenient that may be. True peace cannot be known apart from Him. And He is beckoning, often times waiting patiently, urging with grace, for me to follow Him.

3 he refreshes my soul. He guides me along the right paths for his name’s sake. My strength is renewed because of His leading. I know power from within that I cannot apart from His Holy Spirit. I am strong when I should be weak. I am bold when I should be timid. I can stand when I should be faint. He is my rock. And He has chosen to lead me and bless me this way for no other reason than Himself. I cannot earn this. Work for it. Or find it. He found me. He chose me. By His grace, His mercy, and in Him alone am I righteous. He is love and cannot be separated from it. As such, love is not the drive within Him, it is not His motivation. It is Him.

4 Even though I walk through the darkest valley, I will fear no evil,  for you are with me; He is bigger than anything out there that I face. What is there to be afraid of? I don't have to fear the world because He has overcome it. There's no poverty, no drug, no situation, no courtroom, no gang banger, no terrorist, no relatives, and no boogie man that can exalt their name higher than His. Whom shall I fear? Quite the opposite and to the extreme, I can move forward through it all with confidence because of His presence.

your rod and your staff, they comfort me. Even in your discipline of me I find peace. I know that You correct me because of love. When I leave the paths of peace, I trust you will be patient with me, even in discipline. It restores me to righteousness. Though discipline is never pleasant, it produces life in me.


5 You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies. My enemies will watch you bless me. I will have peace when they would have none. I will have strength when theirs would fail them. And I will have this because I will follow you.

You anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows. I will be blessed beyond what I can stand. And all that I am blessed with I will share with others around me.

6 Surely your goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever. Here I find the proper response and elation from my heart. A public declaration that will be shouted from the rooftops and shared as a light in dark places. My hope is soaring. My heart is full. My joy complete. All that I have is in You. And I shall have it forever more.

1 comment:

  1. The 23rd Psalm has been a comfort to me since my childhood. I never understood the comfort and love I felt when reading it. I memorized it to keep those words with me through every situation. The love and warmth I felt/feel is not comparable with anything/anyone earthly. The 23rd Psalm is the only verse of the Holy Bible that I tried to memorize from the first time I heard it (if my memory doesn't elude me). I love this verse, because it tells/shows me how my Jesus Christ loves me.

    ReplyDelete